life is not measured Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket

Saturday, October 2, 2010

October 2nd

Today, we made some Christmas ornaments as a busy activity.

The kids had a blast, and it literally kept them busy for hoursss between the playing/cutting and then the painting.

Recipe:
 Mix two parts flour, one part salt, and one part water. Knead well.
(I used 2 cups of flour, 1c salt and 1c water... it made a TON)
Cut into shapes, with cookie cutters, playdough toys, or freehand.
Poke a hole in each one that you'd like to hang (a straw works well, or a toothpick that you wiggle around).
Bake at 250 for about 2 1/2 hours or until dry.
Paint, glitter, embellish however you like.
Hang and enjoy :o)

This was such an easy project, and the paint wiped up easily, it was more than worth having to wipe down the kids, table, chairs, and wall.

Seriously, it was!

Someone suggested a variation using applesauce and cinnamon, I'm going to try that one next time!

I plan to do this activity with the kids every week or two until Christmas, because I loooove handmade ornaments and they loved the process so much!!













The kids played outside for most of the day that they weren't making these ornaments.

They were all exhausted by this evening.

Case in point.


It was a great Saturday :o)

2 comments:

  1. <3 <3 <3 LOVE this! The kids and I made cinnamon ornaments for Donnie one year. They smelled great. *sigh*

    My favorite ornament is the giraffe. :n) Who made that one?

    I hope that you write their names and years on the backs. I plan to have the kids make ornaments every year, and I also buy an ornament for everyone each year. When they grow up, they will get their own set of ornaments for their own grown up tree. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rayce made the giraffe!!

    Yep, I plan to put their names and the year on the back. That's what I did last year with the regular wooden shapes they painted for ornaments.

    I <3 them!

    ReplyDelete